Upper Elementary Teacher Position
Thank you for your interest in Six Rivers Montessori. Founded in 2012, we are located in the university town of Arcata on California’s north coast. The surrounding beauty of redwoods and Pacific Ocean provide an inspiration to our dedicated group of staff, parents, and students.
Below is the Job Description for the Upper Elementary teaching position at Six Rivers Montessori. It contains general information describing the primary duties typically required of the job, but is not an all-inclusive listing of work requirements.
For an introduction to our school’s mission and structure, we highly encourage you to review our school Blueprint posted here on our website at http://www.sixriversmontessori.org/srm-blueprint/. The ideal teaching candidate will share our vision of a Montessori learning environment.
If you have any questions about the Job Description or our school please contact our Office Manager at 707-822-7767 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Initial interviews for out-of-town candidates will be conducted via telephone or web conference. Interviews for local candidates will take place in person.
Please see the sidebar for application instructions.
Job Description: Upper Elementary Montessori Teacher
The Upper Elementary Montessori Teacher is a guide who helps to direct his/her students’ activities academically, emotionally, and physically in a prepared Montessori environment.
The teacher understands the developmental needs of 4th, 5th, and 6th year students and strives to manifest a learning environment in which students may reach their maximum potential as human beings.
The Upper Elementary Teacher recognizes the importance of working collaboratively with other staff, parents, and members of the community to provide the most diverse and high-quality education possible for the students.
Essential Job Functions
- Assists students toward self-directed learning and normalization.
- Develops lesson plans that may include field trips, going-outs, and other special activities while ensuring that the needs of the group are met.
- Works to develop close and effective relationships with parents, including conducting Fall and Spring Conferences.
- Records detailed notes on students’ progress and provides individualized care when possible.
- Maintains a neat, well-organized, and attractive prepared environment consistent with Montessori pedagogy.
- Prepares small group presentations involving new materials or progressive steps.
- Fosters a calm environment in which children are free from interference.
- Provides strategies that will support positive behavior and minimize negative behavior.
- Assesses the needs of the class and prepares requests for materials and furnishings.
- Participates in professional activities that may include workshops, curriculum retreats, and other professional pursuits.
- Attends all pre-announced staff meetings, professional sessions, and open houses.
- Participates in the admissions process, speaking from time to time with prospective families at the request of the Office Manager.
- Consults with other teachers for curriculum ideas, sharing materials, and scheduling common activities.
- Supervises Assistant Teacher, Aides, and volunteers, offering guidance and support.
- Monitors group activities to maximize healthy socialization and a fostering of community.
- Is on campus from 8:00-3:30 Monday-Thursday (no school on Fridays) and as needed to prepare the environment for the students.
- Montessori training or experience preferred, but not required.
- At least one year experience in an elementary classroom (lead teacher, classroom assistant, or student teacher) required. Three years’ experience preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution.
- CPR and Basic First Aid training.
- $25,000 – $35,000 starting salary (based on experience).
- $400/mo. over ten months (September – June) health stipend.
To apply please submit the following (open until filled):
- Cover Letter
- Copy of AMI Certificate, AMS Certificate, OR a copy of Montessori Teacher Certificate and copy of BA or BS degree from accredited college.
- Three letters of recommendation
- Job Application (Job application can be completed on the computer or by hand. If completing it on the computer, use tab key to move between fields.)
- You can email the documents to email@example.com
Or, mail/drop off to:
Six Rivers Montessori
1222 Hallen Drive
Arcata, CA 95521
Thank you for your interest in Six Rivers Montessori.